Nothing says “Disneyland” like the beignets found in New Orleans Square! Beignets are essential when visiting Disneyland. I mean, if you don’t eat a beignet while you’re there did you really even visit? These fluffy, sugary treats are something I crave. Now, you make Disneyland Copycat Beignets right at home! I think they are a pretty close match to what you’d find at the parks. They are so simple too! So, grab your Mickey Mouse ears, turn on some Disney music and let’s get cooking! I’ve got lots of Disney inspired recipes to help you get your Disney fix! You’ll need a mickey shaped cookie cutter to make them like the Disney parks. You can find great ones here! If you don’t have a mickey shaped cookie cutter, no worries! You can just make them into circles or squares. They’ll still be great!
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Water should be fairly warm, but not hot. If it feels like a temperature you’d want to wash your face in, you are probably on the right track. You can also sprinkle a little sugar in the water if you like. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream egg, flour and boiling water in a large mixing bowl. I use my kitchen aid to make quick work of it. When it’s combined, stir in the yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment, mix the dough until it’s combined and smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes covered with a dish towel.
Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse shaped cutter. Or, you can cut them into squares. Cover them with a dish towel and let them rise again until they’ve doubled in size, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
Carefully heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy pot over medium heat. Fry the beignets until golden brown, about 2 minutes total. Flip them over halfway through cooking. Remove with tongs and let them drain on a paper towel.
Now for the fun part! Add powdered sugar to a paper bag with a few beignets. Close the bag and give them a good shake. Just like they do at Disneyland! Or, sprinkle them with a little powdered sugar. We also love to cover them in butter and jam. Dipping them in chocolate sauce would also be an excellent idea!
Disneyland Copycat Beignets
A classic Disneyland treat! Now you can make these sweet, fluffy treats right at home.
- 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbls Shortening
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 Egg
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Boiling water
- Vegetable Oil (For frying)
- Powdered sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with a sprinkle of sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large mixing bowl. When it’s combined, stir in the yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer, mix the dough until it’s combined and smooth. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse- shaped cutter or you can cut them into squares. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Carefully, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy pot over medium heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 minutes total, turning halfway. Remove with tongs and let drain on a paper towel.
- Add powdered sugar to a paper bag and shake the beignets in the bag, a few at a time just like they do at Disneyland. Or, sprinkle with powdered sugar. You can also spread with butter and a little cinnamon sugar, jam or honey. You really can’t go wrong!